Two days with Kismet Rock Foundation

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Back in August I was fortunate enough to spend two days with two exceptional groups of kids attending week-long courses with the Kismet Rock Foundation. It's hard to be a climber in the northeast and not at least have heard of Kismet, so I was super excited when Janet Bergman, Executive Director of Kismet, asked me if I would be willing to document a day of Kismet. Of course! How about two days! In their words, Kismet:

"...offers comprehensive courses in rock climbing and mountaineering to children who, because of financial limitations, would not otherwise have access to such an education. Based in North Conway, New Hampshire, (Kismet) accepts emotionally stable and well-functioning youth from both urban and rural areas into its programs. (Kismet's) goal is to offer children an opportunity to benefit from the immense value inherent in a climbing education."
Kismet was founded by Mike Jewell in 1999. By himself he introduced four students from New Jersey to rock climbing in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Today, although Kismet has grown immensely from that first class, Mike is still directly involved with every student who comes through the program.

Climbing has been a central focus in my life for the past 15 years, and therefore I could not honestly think of a better venue for kids to learn valuable life tools. There are so many parallels between climbing and life -- as my good friend Eric Hörst highlighted in his Mental Wings program -- that the concept of growth through a multi-year climbing program just makes perfect sense to me.

On my first day with Kismet I arrived at a house buzzing with activity. Breakfast being gulped down, dishes rattling in the sink, bags being packed. Excitement because we're going CLIMBING!

Below Mike Jewell runs through final checks before embarking with two students on a multi-pitch climb on Cathedral Ledge...


Below a student tackles pitch 3 of Thin Air, a classic moderate climb on Cathedral Ledge...


Bags packed, ropes coiled, off to another great climb and lesson...


Half way up Refuse on Cathedral Ledge, two students share a laugh with me. Proof positive that regardless of financial means, home life conditions, etc., at their root, kids will be kids. Laughing, joking, having fun in the great outdoors.


I love the focus in this young man's eyes, as well as the exposure beneath his feet. I have always said how exciting it is that climbing allows you to go places that less than 99% of the people in the world will ever go. This is one of those places, and he ought to be proud!


A student prepares to be lowered after completing a strenuous climb. She crushed it, and an ever attentive staff member lets her know it!


Half way up and still a long way to go on a multi-pitch climb on Cathedral Ledge...


Portrait of a Kismet student...


"What hold," she says. While clicking away I also embraced the opportunity to coach students through tricky cruxes and thought-to-be-impossible moves. In all instances the students succeeded. Sometimes you just have to look at the situation from a different perspective. The impossible can be possible if the problem is viewed differently. And don't hesitate to ask for help, either!


Each day we ended with a dip in the Saco River. It was great to watch the kids splash and play. Kids from all around New England -- rural towns, inner-city, all over -- splashing in a river...


When I showed up at Kismet I did not know the background of any of the kids I would be hanging out with for those two days. I still don't know any particulars, but I know most of these kids have overcome a lot to get to this place. I grew up playing in the mountains as a Boy Scout, ultimately earning my Eagle Scout and guiding in the Adirondacks of New York. At the time I accepted this as normal, as the way things were for kids. What Kismet offers disadvantaged youths for a week each summer is far from their "normal." I am grateful for the opportunities I have been afforded in my life. This summer I was grateful to be able to spend a couple of days sharing some of those same outdoor experience with a dozen kids who may otherwise not have had the opportunity. My two days spent with Kismet were fantastic. I had so much fun getting to know these kids, and the staff, and I am already looking forward to next year.

0  comments: