Daizha & Tim: Mt. Washington Hotel Wedding

Monday, March 28, 2011

This past Fall I was excited to receive a referral from my friend Jim Shimberg for a July 2011 wedding. Daizha and Tim were climbing friend of Jim's, and I do love climbers' weddings. But unfortunately I already had a wedding scheduled for their date. I was able to in turn refer them to my friend Jennifer at Aphrodite Wedding Photography who had photographed one of their friend's weddings. So, although I was unavailable, I was very excited everything was working out for thm.

Fast forward several months and I hear from Tim that he was facing deployment and would likely be away for their July wedding, and was I available to photograph for them in three weeks? Now, there are not a whole lot of February weddings in New Hampshire, so I was free and once again excited for the opportunity to work with them!

Daizha and Tim's wedding took place pretty much in the heart of a White Mountain winter in early February at the Mt. Washington Hotel. Despite being pulled together rather quickly, had you not known you'd never have guessed. From beginning to end the day flowed smoothly, the details came together flawlessly, and everyone looked fabulous. As I arrived at the hotel, I was treated to a truly stunning view of the summit of Mt. Washington...


To begin, I met up with Daizha at the salon...


As things wrapped up at the salon I took the opportunity to capture a few details. Here's a few close-ups...


As well as her bouquet -- another beautiful creation by Sara Severance the hotel florist -- and her dress...


I love this next image taken as Daizha's mom, sister and close family friend helped her into her dress...


Many hands make light work, I think is how the saying goes...


A few rooms down the hall Tim was getting ready with his best man...


I love the Air Force dress blues and the detail of Tim's uniform...


A ring will only add to the bling already on Tim's chest! And a quick portrait before heading off to meet Daizha...


A quick portrait of Daizha along with a capture as she makes her way downstairs to meet Tim...


It's always fun when couples do a first look and see each other beforehand. Not only does it allow for a great moment, but often the couple allows time for portraits too, as was the case here. Tim met Daizha at the bottom of the stairs in the main lobby, and then we bundled up and headed outside...


I love this next series of portraits taken on the back terrace. Snowflakes had begun falling, but the light was still very good and Daizha was a trooper regarding the cold...



One of the images that they really wanted was a wide shot with the hotel in the background. To do that we needed to head down the drive a bit to get some distance between us and the hotel. The cross country ski trail made for a great location because we were able to get out into the field but not post-hole up to our thighs in the deep snow. Unfortunately, though, by the time we got down there is was a full-on blizzard out. Still, Daizha was a trooper...


A fun image as they retreat from the storm...


Back at the hotel, a few final preps and it was time for the main event. I captured Daizha making her way to the service with her parents and sister...


Tim's expression says it all as he sees Daizha walking down the isle with her father. A grin holding back a huge smile...


Because the wedding was pulled together in just three weeks, they chose to keep it very small. Just the family and closest friends were in attendance; I believe 18 people total...


A couple of ceremony details...


Her sister performs a reading, and Daizha responds with a fantastic expression...


As with the rest of the day, they were all smiles during the exchange of rings...


Pretty much all ceremonies end with a kiss. I love that they ended with a high five!


Following the ceremony we snuck away for some night portraits. The grand stair case has been seen already in this post, but it is such a hallmark to the Mt. Washington we needed some portraits there. We then ventured back outside where it was still a blizzard out. The expansive back porch made a great location...


I had in my head an image that I really wanted to try. It's snowed at many weddings that I have photographed, but never an all out blizzard with accumulations in inches per hour. I wanted to shoot something that really captured that storm on their big day. So, with not a whole lot of convincing, I was able to get them out in the snow yet again. Personally, I am quite happy with the series of images, with the one on the right being one of my favorites from the day...


Back inside the reception was ready to kick off with toasts and embarrassing stories...


And of course, the stories were taken quite well. All smiles yet again...



Following dinner there was a first dance and then parent dances...


I think Daizha's in love...


I always like father-daughter dances...


But sometimes the mother-son dance is the real emotional one, as was the case here...


Formalities out of the way, it was time to party. Despite being a small reception, they still got down with the best of them...



I'll end with a portrait of the happy couple...


Thank you Daizha and Tim for inviting me to your intimate celebration, and for being so welcoming, so laid back and such fun to spend the afternoon and evening with!

1  comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric,
From a July Heatwave to a Feb. Blizzard , you always come through with an amazing collection of memories for your brides!!

Debbie Ingalls