Wendy & Ben: A Dream Away Lodge Wedding

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Tucked away in western Massachusetts is the wonderfully eclectic Dream Away Lodge. I have to admit, coming up the drive, knowing that I was on my way to a wedding, I made the assumption that I was 100% in the wrong place. The Dream Away just isn't your typical New England wedding venue. I mean, there's a neon Coors Light sign in the front window! But, no, this was the right place. And, it only took a minute to realize what an amazing venue the Dream Away is! Unlike anywhere else that I have photographed a wedding, this is an absolutely unique and fabulous place.

The first weekend in October I traveled southwest to Becket, MA for Wendy and Ben's wedding. The weather was not looking inspiring for their outside ceremony -- it looked like rain and was pretty cold. None the less, the rain held off and we enjoyed a great day in the Berkshires...





I met up with Wendy in the cabin out back while she was getting ready...


I was immediately greeted by one of the most engaging and warm smiles that I'd seen all year. And we got to see a lot of it all day long...



While I was finishing up with Wendy, David took a few minutes to photograph Ben before he left for the ceremony...


It seemed like the sun was going to try and come out, so it was off to the ceremony for us, which was a short walk up the hill behind the Lodge...


A fun moment captured between Wendy and her parents...


A great smile also from Ben as Wendy approached...


The ceremony took place on top of a small granite outcrop in the woods. Their families were seated on rustic benches, wicker chairs and I think even a sofa or two. Guests gathered around this mostly standing-room ceremony under the canopy of green...



Sealed with a kiss and the breaking of the glass!


Then a little walk through the woody path lined by twinkle light on our way for a few portraits...


I mentioned Wendy's smile, right?


Typical wedding venue decor, no?


I love the main bar with it's colorful light panels...


Out back was a tent with the dance floor. There were a couple of fire places outside the tent to keep the chill at bay, and the details inside were rustic, whimsical and colorful. Here's a few...




Before everyone went in for dinner, we took a few more portraits by the pond before it got too dark...


One of my favorites...



Then it was back to the tent where the party was just about ready to get started...


But not before a few toasts...



And Wendy and Ben's first dance...



Let the dancing begin...


Ben surrounded by friends...


Friends who can cut loose...


Love this moment late in the night...


And I'll wrap things up by the bonfire...


Thank you Wendy and Ben for having us out to your wonderful and unique celebration. Special thanks to David for joining me on the journey to western Massachusetts, and for taking over at the wheel around 2AM when I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer!

0  comments: