'Work of the Devil' revisited

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Back in January 2006 my good friend Jim Ewing completed the first ascent of Work of the Devil, most likely the hardest mixed climb in New England at the time, in The Cave on Cathedral Ledge in NH. Shortly afterwards, in a throwback to years gone by, I wanted to write a story about it. I never really finished it, until now. I suppose I have time with Abigail keeping me up at all hours of the night. So, although it's old news now, enjoy!

January 29, 2006—I’m suddenly sitting bolt-upright in bed. The piercing screech of my alarm clock stabbing its way through the fog of sleep and warmth. It’s 4:30 AM on Sunday morning. My wife groans and mumbles for the umpteenth time, “I don’t know why you keep doing this.” I question the sanity of weekend after weekend dragging myself out of our warm bed, away from the warm body next to me, but only for a moment. I have to get moving in order to meet Jim in time. Downstairs I grab my pack and boots, and steal a glance at the thermometer on the back porch: 9 degrees Fahrenheit. I’m optimistic it will warm up, but this is February in New Hampshire so I don’t get my hopes up too high. Maybe Rebecca was right? Read more

0  comments: