Shanna & John: Jackson, NH Elopement

Monday, August 23, 2010

Last month I was honored to be one of just a few guests at Shanna and John's elopement to Jackson, NH. They traveled from Chicago to the White Mountains for their intimate wedding celebration having never been before, but on glowing recommendation. Their original plan was for only John's sister to be in attendance, however, three very close friends politely, and with permission, crashed the event. They flew in the night before, drove 3+ hours to the ceremony, celebrated and then flew home the next morning. Very good friends indeed. So, without further adieu, I am excited to share images of Shanna and John's day, starting with the happy couple...


I began the day at the Jackson Community Church. I arrived early and took the opportunity to capture some classic New Hampshire details -- birch trees, granite river stones and the small mountain chapel.


John was the first to arrive, showing nervous signs of excitement. Here he is checking his watch. "I sure hope Shanna is coming," is what I imagined him saying to himself...



And then Shanna arrived. I felt as though I had the best seat in the house because I was the only one who could see the excitement on each of their faces at first. Here Shanna waits for her cue to walk down the isle...


The light in the church was soft and literally wrapped around them both. I love John's restrained smile in the image at left below...


And during their vows with John's sister standing next to her brother...


The service performed by Rev. Lee was very spirited. He is very animated and passionate, as well as funny...


Following the exchange of rings, Shanna and John made their exit from the church. Here the newly married couple walk happily back down the isle...


I was able catch them leaving the church, and pausing for a kiss...


Following the service, we did capture a few images with their friends, but mostly we had a lot of time for portraits. There were no family lineups, no cocktail hour or reception to get to. Only dinner reservations at the Eagle Mountain House where they were staying. So, I was blessed with more time than I ever have with a bride and groom. We started with portraits at the Jackson covered bridge...


And then moved to the wonderful waterfalls that parallel the road leading to the Mountain House...


How New Hampshire is this next image with the pine trees, granite, river and mountains in the background?



After a little time by the river, it was back to the Mountain house for a few more portraits and to meet up with their friends...



I love images with a story, especially ones that make me smile or laugh. John and their three friends that crashed the elopement are all reporters. As such, they spend much of there time reading and creating the news, as well as heads down in their Blackberrys. I snagged this image as Shanna gives a "look" while they all login waiting for their table...


Once inside we were treated to a wonderful little room and an intimate dinner setting...


...and many toasts.


Here is another couple of images that make me laugh. I understood that Shanna had been talking about trying the chili cheese fried since arriving at the Eagle Mountain House on Wednesday. I just love this image of the bride ready to attack a huge plate of them in her white gown. Classic!


Following dinner, Shanna and John stepped out to the porch to make calls to their parents who were not with them this day. I kept my distance for these emotional calls, but captured these images from the moment. Mom and dad may not have been there, but these images allow them to see where their children were as they offered love and congratulations...


Back inside, there was a small cake cutting, followed by more laughter and drinks as the night wound on.


I will end with my favorite image of the evening, maybe even the day, of Shanna and John in front of the glowing Eagle Mountain House...


Thank you Shanna and John for having me along to document your elopement. You were so much fun to spend the day with. As an aside, I always feel honored to be a part of a couple's wedding day, but this day felt extra special. Along with the stories and experiences Shanna and John returned home with from their foray to Jackson, NH, this collection of images is what will visually tell the story of their wedding day to all of their family and friends who were not there. That's pretty cool, I think.

0  comments: