Kristen & Joe: A Camp Kabeyun Wedding

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Well, my summer wedding season has begun, and I expect it to be a great one. I am very excited to be photographing many amazing couples, at great venues, working with several awesome professionals, both on the front end and behind the scenes. It's going to be a busy summer, and I am psyched!

So, to kick things off, I had the great honor of photographing Kristen and Joe's wedding at Camp Kabeyun on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. Last summer I was introduced to Kabeyun through Ashley and Scott's wedding, so it was exciting to go back again, though in a different season. To add to the past connection train, I met Kristen and Joe at Whitney and Travis' wedding last August, so I was even more excited because I was going to get to see a lot of familiar faces. It was just a really fun way to start things off.

Kristen and Joe met 3 years ago as counselors at Camp Kabeyun. Kristen was a newcomer, and Joe a "lifer" with his connection to the Camp going back twenty-some years. So, when they began planning their wedding the location was obvious.


Camp Kabeyun is located in Alton, NH on Lake Winnipesaukee. It is a gorgeous location on just about any day, even this overcast one...


I arrived as the ladies were getting ready. More often than not things are running a little behind schedule, but not today. When I arrived everyone was dressed and pretty much ready to go. Here, Kristen adds a few finishing touches...


And enjoying a light moment with her bridesmaids...


Kristen's dress was a beautiful off-white gown, perfect for this rustic wedding. Flowers were by Roanne Robbins of Honeyfield Flowers, who also happens to be the wife of the Camp Kabeyun's director.


It's always fun when mom and dad arrive and see their daughter shortly before getting married...


And with a little time to spare, we snapped a few portraits and some more details...



Leaving Kristen to her final preparations, I hiked over to Pine Point, where you'll find the fire circle and the location for the wedding ceremony, to meet up with Joe.


Joe was busily trying to get things organized, corralling family and guests alike. It was obvious that he spends his summers shepherding boys at Camp. We did find a few minutes for some portraits, however...



At the appointed time, the music began by Mary Dellea, Dave Talmage and third member whose name I did not catch, the guests took their seats, and Joe entered with his mom and dad...


Followed shortly by Kristen and her father...


Here Joe's eyes are fixed on Kristen, while his best man and brother Gary gives me a smile...


Everyone looks happy. I love it...


Pine Point is a great location. It can be tricky on a really sunny day for a photographer, but I was loving it on this slightly overcast day. Here is a wide shot that does a great job of setting the scene...


So, as I mentioned, I had met Joe and Kristen at a wedding last summer. I remembered them as two very fun and really nice people. I did not, however, remember Joe's goofy side. In so many of my photos from the day, including this one from the ceremony, Joe was striking funny faces making Kristen laugh out loud...


Funny faces aside, I am fond of this next capture of Kristen with all of her focus fixed on Joe...


The vows... which were wonderfully written, and artfully displayed in a birch wood frame...


That look again...


The "deed" done, the newlyweds recessed from the fire ring...


Following the ceremony we worked quickly through family portraits, leaving time for some intimate portraits of the bride and groom. One of my favorites in the image at left below...



Did I mention Joe's faces? Rrrrrrrr...


And I think my favorite image from the day is this next one at left. The trees, the lake, a couple of people in love...


Following portraits we joined their guests at Small Cove for a cocktail hour...




A few drinks, lots of laughs and then off to the reception dinner. I was able to stop them for a few more portraits on the way, including this brief kiss beside one of the cabins...


And as a final image, here's the newlyweds headed in to be introduced and greeted by their guests one more time...


It was at that time that my commitment for the evening ended and I said good night. By the smell of the brisket on the grills I wished I was staying, but a short evening worked out well for me as my wife and I are still trying to adjust to life with our new baby boy.

Thank you Kristen and Joe for inviting me to your wedding and for being so gracious throughout the day. It was great to see you again, and with so many "connections" now, I can't wait to catch up with you again in the future!

0  comments: